Aldevron announced today its new fermentation capacity of 1,000 liters and plans to significantly increase the Company’s manufacturing footprint in Madison, WI. The large-scale fermentation equipment is already installed and will be coming on-line in Q4 2019.
The new fermentation capacity will support gene and cell therapy studies that require large amounts of plasmid DNA, recombinant proteins, and/or gene editing enzymes. The facility expansion plan adds nearly 10,000 square feet of manufacturing space, with the option for an additional 5,000 square feet on the same floor. The expansion also provides space for an additional 300 L of bioreactor capacity for insect and mammalian cell culturing and the capacity to significantly increase manufacturing project throughput.
Founder and CEO, Michael Chambers says the organization has consistently delivered high-quality biologics to clients across the globe, resulting in steady growth and the need to expand the operation. “We constantly review each of Aldevron’s manufacturing capabilities in an effort to provide the highest quality biologics that our clients need, exactly when they need them,” said Chambers. “Increasing our fermentation capabilities is a direct result of what the market is demanding, and this expansion is a further commitment to our clients and our staff to better serve our industry,”
The Madison location focuses on recombinant protein design and development and became Aldevron’s third manufacturing site in 2009. The design of the space has started and is expected to be fully operational in the fourth quarter.
- Aldevron’s Wisconsin site is located in the University of Wisconsin Research Park in Madison.
- The expansion takes advantage of an existing $8M purpose-built, bio-manufacturing facility.
- The expansion will more than double the manufacturing space and accommodate up to 60 staff.
- The large-scale E. coli fermentation facility will increase manufacturing capacity to 1,000 liters, with space for an additional 300 liters in culturing capacity for insect and mammalian expression. Expansion into the new space includes the following equipment.
- Two (2): Sartorius Biostat C-plus 20 L fermentors
- Two (2): Sartorius Biostat D-DCU 200 L fermentors
- One (1): Sartorius 1,000 L fermentor
- One (1): Sharples AS16 continuous flow centrifuge
- One (1): SaniMatic Ultra Flow 45 CIP skid
- One (1): kill-tank system
- One (1): horizontal airflow workstation